Sometimes we end up feeling fragile and burnt-out... and at times like these we need yoga and Harriet's 8 steps to a magical weekend the most! Try it this weekend and let us know how it helped....
This weekend was the most invigorating and refreshing weekend that I’ve had in a good while.
I got to last Friday evening feeling a little burnt-out emotionally and mentally: nothing major, but just my anxious mind dragging its feet. Feeling a little fragile, in need of some TLC, dark chocolate and tea.
I know this is when I need some self-love and my yoga practice most, and I know that many of our students can relate to this feeling, so I thought I’d share a few things that helped me re-energise and relax this past weekend.
1. Sweat & Stretch: nothing beats the endorphin kick from a sweaty yoga session. Indulging in some joyful movement benefits your whole body and mind, and is the perfect remedy to put things in perspective. If you hit up a class at Yoga Quota, you also know that your practice is giving back to those in need. Yoga not your thing this weekend? Perhaps a walk in nature, a dance session, or gym hit is more your vibe.
2. Nourish & Enjoy: eat good food, and food you love. I’m talking about ploughing through a whole avocado, some broccoli, and an entire punnet of raspberries. Top it off with some peanut butter and dark chocolate (because PB = life).
3. Connect: find a few moments to connect with someone. Maybe that’s a long talk with your family, significant other, best friend, or barista. Engage in some authentic communication: magical for helping you to shift and let go of things that have been distracting you or causing anxiety!
4. Share Your Passions: sharing something you love and are passionate about with others is intensely satisfying. I am so lucky that I get to share my passion for yoga with my students: it's always one of the most fulfilling experiences I have. This weekend I taught my regular 'Put on Your Sunday Best' and then a Partner Yoga workshop for Valentine's Day. Both were divine: full of joyful movement, smiles and blissful moments. The change in my students at the end of class, seeing them leave smiling and relaxed, is so precious to me.
5. Shake Up Your Routine: Stuck in the rut of your regular work-week & weekend routines? Try doing something different. For me on Sunday, this meant taking a slightly longer (but much more beautiful) walk from the bus stop to my pre-yoga coffee through a new-to-me part of the Christchurch Meadow. The sun was shining, birds were singing, and I was soaking up all of the fresh sighs and sounds that I hadn't seen. You could also take advantage of an offering like Cassie's amazing alignment workshop last Saturday, try cooking a new recipe, scope out a different cafe, or simply walk on the other side of the street than you usually do.
6. Enjoy Some Unapologetic Fun: go to the movies, play a game, have a giggle, listen to some killer tunes. Sneak in some more smiling and laughter and your half-way to feeling fine by Sunday night.
7. Love Yourself: cut yourself some slack. You're a superhero, remember? Let go of your to-do list hangover from Friday and commit to yourself for the weekend. Your energy and motivation levels come Monday morning will thank you for taking the time to rest and rejuvenate.
8. Gratitude: no matter how you choose to spend your time this weekend, take a moment to express some gratitude. Studies have shown that gratitude is a significant element of happiness. Even if it's just gratitude for your morning cup of coffee, the shining sun, or maybe for a particular person in your life. Express gratitude either as a list or talking to someone is a powerful force for good.
There you have it, my 8 tips for a magical weekend (or anytime, really!).